Seabrook – History

 

Due to the expanding population at Seabrook in the late 19th century, the Rector and churchwardens of St. Martin’s Church Cheriton negotiated the purchase of a piece of land fronting on to the Seabrook Road in 1883. A mission hall and house were built at a cost of £1100 and the hall was initially used as a community centre at weekend and until 1897 a school during the week.

The building has now been in use for over 100 years and not only provides a place for Sunday worship but serves the local community as a place for clubs and societies to use, such as the local karate club, and it is also available for hire, for such things as quiz evenings.

2_Waiting_for_the_torch_cropped-640.jpg


© 2013 Cheriton Churches